PRSSA-Public Relations Student Society of America
PRSSA is the largest, most respected and widely recognized organization for pre-professional students interested in PRSSA. Founded in 1968 by the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), the student society boasts more than 10,000 members in 300-plus universities across the country.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT * NETWORKING * TRAVEL OPPORTUNITIES* SCHOLARSHIPS * INTERNSHIPS *AWARDS * PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Network with professionals in your community for key contacts in finding the best internships and jobs.
- Take part in professional development conferences, seminars and workshops to learn best practices from the pros.
- Apply for a wide range of national scholarships and internship opportunities—more than $20,000 worth of scholarships awarded annually.
- Participate in state and national PR competitions that provide invaluable experience to build your portfolio and earn recognition and cash awards for your chapter.
- Take part in service projects where you learn PR by doing and give back to your community.
MaverickPR is the UNO chapter of PRSSA sponsored by the School of Communication and the College of Communication, Fine Arts and Media.
Among are accomplishments:
- Won the F.H. Teahan National Award for Outstanding Chapter in 2009 & 2012.
- Name a PRSSA Star Chapter in 2011.
- Won third place in the Random Acts of Kindness Campaign in 2011.
- Won the F. H. Teahan National Award for University Service in 2010.
- the F.H. Teahan National Award for Outstanding Community Service in 2008, 2006 & 2004.
- Earned first place in the National Organ Donor Awareness Competition in 2010, 2008, 2006 and 2004 and third place in 2007 & 2009 & fourth place in 2011.
- Awarded the UNO Strategic Planning Award for Community Engagement in 2007.
- Won first place in the National Ethics Advocacy Competition in 2009 and third place in 2006.
MaverickPR is the nationally affiliated student-run firm founded in 2007.
- Provides real-world experience working for campus and community clients.
- Gain experience in all facets of public relations, advertising and marketing.
- Plan and execute social and traditional media strategy for clients.
- Plan and execute special events.
- Produce publications, graphic design and presentations.
- Includes such clients as DREAM, a sports mentoring program for at-risk youth; Green Dot, a bystander education program to reduce power-based violence; Omaha Heritage Festival, an annual regional cultural even and Warren Academy, a youth sports performance program.
- Assists campus departments with their branding, promotion and media needs such as UNO Bike! and UNO on the GO, Health Services, Human Resources and UNO Parking Services.
Our Faculty Adviser
Karen Weber, a lecturer in the School of Communication, has served as faculty adviser since 1999. She teaches a variety of journalism writing courses as well as workshops for PR campaigns and the PR firm. A graduate of UNO with a bachelor’s degree in journalism and a master of arts in communication, Weber worked as a newspaper reporting and freelance writer before beginning her teaching career. In 2008, she earned the Alumni Excellence in Teaching Award given to one faculty member within the College of Communication, Fine Arts and Media. In 2009, Nebraska PRSA named Weber, Service Professional of the Year for her significant contributions to mentoring students. She was also named 2009 Faculty Adviser of the Year by the UNO Student Organizations & Leadership (SOLP).
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-45345123-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);